Monday, May 16, 2011

Smurf!

So back in March I finally got the Miata.  I bought a 1-way ticket to California after finding a '91 Mariner Blue Miata with only 92,000 miles on it.  It seemed to be pretty clean other than a few minor things (rear bumper scuffed, exhaust rattle, and torn rear window zipper).  After the test drive I was sold on it, but then came the bad news, the current owner didn't have a title for it so I wouldn't be able to export the car from the States.  After going to a Starbucks nearby to look over my options I went through with it.  At the Californian DMV I just had to request a new title be mailed to me.  So that's when the trip really began.  The drive back across the country was 2500 miles and it took 4 days, driving about 10 hours each day.  The states we crossed included California, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Tennessee, Kentucky, Ohio, and Michigan, with California and Arizona easily being the best states.




Upon arrival to Michigan I found a parking lot near the airport that seemed to have good rates for long-term parking.  Not knowing how long it would take to get my title this seemed like the best bet.  After the weekend ended I already had my title, but no bill of sale to export the car, so I had to wait some more.  Finally after about a week I had the bill of sale, meaning I could import the car.  Importing the Miata ended up being much easier than the 240sx.  I didn't get interrogated this time and I didn't have to pay any Duty or RIV fees so I was feeling pretty good about that.


A week after importing the car I went to get my safety and e-test done here in Windsor.  I passed the e-test with no problems, and after looking around for a shop that would let me pass the safety without Day-time Running Lights the car passed safety with no problems.


Now came the time to take care of some stuff, most importantly the rear window zipper so I could actually drive the car if it rained, and I didn't have to worry about parking outside.  I took it to an upholstery guy that did all the work for free; he just hand stitched it and then I laid some canvas material over top to strengthen it.


No comments:

Post a Comment