Monday, May 16, 2011

330mm Momo Champion

It didn't take long after getting the Miata that I did the first mod on it.  I got this 330mm Momo Champion from a friend for free to use until I get my own wheel.  I then got the Momo 5702 hub and began the install.




Removing the old wheel was pretty straightforward, just disconnect the battery, unbolt the airbag, and remove the main nut of the steering shaft to free the steering wheel.

Now came the fun, trying to get the Momo 5702 hub to work in the Miata.  It isn't a direct plug-and-play because the wires from the clockspring get in the way of properly mounting it.  So I had to shave down the plastic connector housing off the clockspring and then drill out the hole in the hub so it would be bigger and the wires could feed through.  I also had to drill 2 new holes for the turn signal canceler since I was "clocking" the hub about 20degrees from it's intended position.  I didn't get any pictures throughout this process because I was getting frustrated with it, and just wanted to try to figure out how to get it to work.

 
At this time I also plugged in the PnP resistor I bought from a member on ClubRoadster.net which worked perfectly!  No blinking airbag light.


After modifying the hub I finally got the wheel on and took it out for a drive to see how it felt.  I read that some people were having issues with their hands hitting the turn signal and wiper controls without running a spacer on the hub but so far mine has been okay, I've only once accidentally turned on the wipers mid corner.  The steering feel all around is much better, making it much more enjoyable to drive.



I ordered my horn button over a month ago off eBay and it still hasn't come in, so I'm getting a little frustrated by that, but hopefully it'll be here soon, until then I have to touch the horn wire against metal to make it honk.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your post. I really appreciate you work. Thanks again for sharing a great information with us.


    Nissan 240sx

    ReplyDelete